The Tranquilo Mat is a portable, vibrating mat created to calm fussy newborns. It was invented by Melissa Gersin, a maternity RN in the Boston area, after witnessing struggling parents trying to soothe their fussy babies.
The Tranquilo Mat works by mimicking the sounds and motions of the womb.
“While in utero, your baby is suspended in amniotic fluid and gently swayed and jostled from every shift in your body position, as well as lulled by constant motion and sounds from your heart beat, blood flow, and other bodily functions.
The sounds inside the womb have been recorded as high as 80-90 decibels —nearly as loud as a vacuum cleaner or hairdryer!
After emerging from nine months in a warm cocoon of constant motion and white noise, it’s no wonder new babies often ‘cry for no reason.’”
We wanted to put it to the test in real life (IRL), so we held a giveaway where three lucky parents got to test it out in exchange for a review.
After hearing from these moms, we think this is a neat tool to have in your calm-down-little-baby-pleeeeeease arsenal, but it’s not necessarily a show stopper. It seems to work really, really well for some, and not so much for others.
Check out these user videos to see it in action ~
Meggan’s video (quick review, 1:30)
Julie’s video (long review, 10 mins)
*Please note that it’s not safe to use the Tranquilo Mat between the baby and her car seat.
- Portable: Rolls up to the size of a newspaper.
- Versatile: Use in any setting or scenario. (Note: when using with car seat, do not place under your baby.)
- Customizable: Different sounds, vibrations, strengths, and levels of white noise.
- Easy to Clean: Waterproof liner. Machine washable.
- Safety: The Tranquilo Mat is CPSIA safe. Phthalate, BPA and lead-free.
- Some parents say it can be finicky
- It runs on batteries, which is nice for portability but parents report that the device can tear through those AA’s
- The Tranquilo Mat is not approved for sleep — it’s only for use when baby is awake and/or under supervision
- If your baby’s squirmy, she might wiggle off this pretty easily — i.e., this is best for newborns or infants who aren’t yet rolling (or else you might want to consider the larger version…in fact, most parents recommend going with the large mat)
- Some users think the product’s materials and vibrations are a bit noisy (you can hear the crinkling noise in the video above)
Choose Your Mat
Needless to say, it also makes a great gift!
Note that now Tranquilo also offers a few other innovative products to promote infant sleep, such as a Safe Sleep Swaddle, Swaddle Transition Sleepsuit, cute Tranquilo Mat Covers, and a Baby Soothe Massager.