Getting ready to deliver – or just checking your list?
If you’re feeling unprepared – or maybe you can’t buy the things you need – not to worry, there is a lot of gear that you can WAIT on: strollers, high chairs, a crib, blah blah blah. You can get this stuff later, I promise.
But there ARE a few things you probably do want from Day 1, if possible.
- An Infant (or convertible) car seat – to bring home baby from the hospital (unless you are taking a donkey or the subway)
- A swing and/or bouncer (ok, not totally essential but REALLY nice to have)
- An infant tub and some baby soap
- A diaper pail (or some receptacle to put dirty diapers)
- Some formula (just in case)
- A good night light
- For breastfeeding moms: nursing bras and nursing pads
Those are the bare essentials; everything else can wait if need be! Almost there, mama!!!
Did you miss?
The Day 1 essentials should really include, for breast feeding mama’s, a breast pump. If your new baby is having latching (or other feeding) trouble and you don’t have a pump in those first days to stimulate milk production, then breast feeding will never happen. It’s even more important than a swing or bouncy in the first week or two: have a pump.